Thursday, February 14, 2013

For the Valentine-less Young Ladies this Valentine's Day

 

Guest Post by: Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin
originally shared on www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com

Valentine’s Day may be a happy time for couples, but it’s often a painful reminder for single Christian women of what they’re still praying for, hoping for, and – sigh – waiting for. Many of us don’t have a valentine this year because we’ve been holding out for someone special. We have high standards, and we’ve stuck to them, and now we’re having to eat the fruits of this resolve (instead of Godiva chocolates).

High standards and faithful perseverance are noble things. But sometimes we need to re-examine the honesty of our standards, and the whole spirit in which we devise them.

Some of us, whether we know it or not, have made lists of suitor-requirements that look like this:
Dear God,
I have been very good this year, and I would really like it if you would bring me a husband who:
Is working to become just like Christ
Will love me just the way I am
Speaks several languages and plays several instruments
Will look past my inadequacies to see only my inner qualities
Is handsome
Will not be so carnally minded that he will care about the way I look
Isn’t interested in money
Can support me in the style I would like to be accustomed to
Is completely sold out for God
Will let me be myself

I know these are very righteous things to desire, and I have been patiently waiting and have not compromised my standards, so can you please reward my faithfulness now? Thank you.
Love, Janey
It’s good to develop noble standards for the kind of man we want to marry, but simply having a preference for good men doesn’t make us worthy of them. We often have lofty demands for suitors (well, not that lofty – just that they have Jim Elliot’s heart, C. S. Lewis’s mind, William Wallace’s courage, Clark Gable’s face, Cary Grant’s clothes, Josh Groban’s voice…), but we want them to love us just the way we are. So the men we want to marry often don’t really exist – and if they did… well… why would they want to marry us?

Janey apparently hopes that her paragon of glowing character and accomplishments won’t mind that she is (apparently) shallow and materialistic, has qualities buried so deep there’s no danger of anyone ever finding them, is not-quite-sold-out for Christ herself… and is not interested in changing. But then, we don’t really want what we deserve, do we?

So, we make our wish lists and pray that we get Missionary Martyr Malibu Ken for Christmas. But what will we have to offer him? How are we preparing to be what he might need in a wife? How long are our lists of standards and requirements for ourselves?

Our aspirations to be married to fine husbands are good; but then, that’s an aspiration that the Cinderellas and the ugly stepsisters of the world have always had in common. We need to step outside of our imaginary roles as the heroines of our own personal fairy tales, and ask ourselves: Which one am I? Why would the prince choose me?

The bad news is, none of us are naturally likeable, desirable, or eligible. Because of sin, we all start out as ugly stepsisters, and we don’t automatically become Cinderella upon reaching marriageable age. The good news is, “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.” (1 Pet. 2:24) And the rest of the good news is, if you find yourself Valentine-less this Valentine’s Day, that means the Lord is giving you more time to die to sin and live to righteousness, more time to make yourself ready, more time to become a better gift.

Ladies, let’s decide to do our (future) husbands good on this day (Prov. 31:12), instead of moping about the good they’re not here to do for us. On a day when women all over the world will be thinking about what they want to get from a man, let’s think instead about we’re preparing to give to one.
(With excerpts from It’s (Not That) Complicated)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blessed encouragement Ladies! I loved this part of their book "It's Not That Complicated", and love how they wove Valentine's Day into it!

    That book has been a HUGE blessing, and only wish more young ladies would read it and be as encouraged as I and some of my sister's in Christ have been.

    Been thinking about y'all as of late and hope to have an update e-mail out very soon, but we have been so busy I have had to put it off to the side multiple times.

    Know I think and pray for y'all and hope you have a blessed week!

    Miss Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antoinette, oh how sweet it is to hear from you! It's been a while! I hope you are doing well!

    I've actually never read "It's Not That Complicated" but I have heard so many good things said about it! I so appreciate some of the Botkin ladies thoughts that they share! We all need encouragement to become the godly women that God has called us to be.

    We would so love to hear about how things are going for your family and all the happenings on the homestead there in Kentucky! :-) We'll look forward to reading your email when time allows you to write and share! With spring approaching so quickly, time for indoor work will soon be very limited...but what a wonderful time of the year it is! :-)

    God Bless sister!

    ReplyDelete