Garbanzo Bean Cake or Cupcakes
~ makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen cupcakes, 9x13" cake or 1 double layer 9"cake
3 cups chocolate chips
5 cups canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups white sugar of evaporated cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin tins, 9x13” cake pan, or 2-9” round cake pans.
2. Melt chocolate chips and butter together in small sauce pan over low heat.
3. Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor or strong blender. Process or blend until smooth. Add the sugar and the baking powder and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and butter, add vanilla and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides to make sure the chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan or cupcake tins. Fill muffin cups almost full.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes for cupcakes and about 35-40 minutes for cake. Do not over-bake! Toothpick inserted in the center will come out almost clean when done.
5. Remove cupcakes from pans soon after you pull them out of the oven. If you wait too long, the bottoms will stick pretty badly to the pan. Allow cupcakes or cake to cool and then frost with chocolate frosting (recipe below) or invert cake onto a serving plate while still pretty warm and dust with confectioner’s sugar just before serving.
Grandma Alexander's Famous Chocolate Frosting Recipe
~ perfectly frosts 1 batch of the above cupcakes or 9x13" cake
1 stick butter, softened
6 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
Mix powdered sugar and coca together. Add milk and vanilla and beat until well mixed. Then add butter and beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar as needed to achieve desired consistency. If you get it too thick, add a little milk.