Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Encouragement ~ Praying for Your Future Spouse



“Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.  I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart.  And this I pray, that your love may about yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; that ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.”  - Philippians 1:2-7a,9-11
Even though I very much look forward to when the Lord brings the special man He has created me to be a helpmeet to into my life, I sometimes struggle with discouragement as to when and how the Lord will bring him.  Sometimes it's hard for me to pray for him, partially because I don't know who he is or what he needs.  This, I know, sadly stems from a lack of faith.  The Lord is so good and gracious though.  I know that I should pray for my future husband.  I should do him good all the days of my life.  So even though I don't know him yet, I can still be helping him by being a prayer warrior for him.  The Lord has given me many reminders lately about faith and patience, and about being the woman He wants me to be so that I can truly best serve Him with my life.  That will help me someday to be a better wife.  (Marriage is not a goal in life, but rather a means by which the Lord chooses for His children to serve and glorify Himself.)
A few days ago I asked some family friends if they would be willing to share Scripture passages or other spiritual thoughts that are encouragements to be faithful in praying for one's future spouse.  One friend shared part of the above passage, which I was very blessed by.  It was very much an encouragement to me as to how I can pray for my future husband.  I decided to start compiling Scripture passages that I can turn into prayers for my future husband.  This was the first to go in that document.  Also, I put a small part of this passage in a picture, kind of as a substitute of that special man, as a reminder to be faithful in praying, and in patiently waiting and keeping my heart.
 I know this may seem somewhat silly to think, or worry about, or even share.  But I wanted to share it, because I know I'm not the only young person in the world dealing with these things.  I am hopeful that it will be a blessing and encouragement to others of you.  May the Lord help us all to press on to know and love Him more, and to serve Him with our whole hearts.  And may He also help us to be faithful in praying for our future spouses, as they need His grace and strength right now, and it will help us all to serve Him better in the future.
~Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment