Monday, January 27, 2014

A few quotes from Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot

I just began reading Elisabeth Elliot's book "Passion and Purity" yesterday and am already finding myself incredibly challenged by it.  I thought I would share a few of the quotes in the book that really spoke to me, that I hope will be a blessing to you as well.  
~Breanna
"...Grant your people grace to love what you command and desire what you promise..." 
~The Book of Common Prayer

"'The life lost on the Cross was not a sinful one- the treasure poured forth there was God-given, God-blessed treasure, lawful and right to be kept: only that there was the life of the world at stake.'(Lillias Trotter) What kind of a God is it who asks everything of us?  The same God who'...did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all; and with this gift how can he fail to lavish upon us all he has to give?' He gives all.  He asks all."

"One morning I was reading the story of Jesus' feeding of the five thousand.  The disciples could find only five loaves of bread and two fishes.  'Let me have them,' said Jesus.  He asked for all.  He took them, said the blessing, and broke them before He gave them out.  I remembered what a chapel speaker...had said: 'If my life is broken when given to Jesus, it is because pieces will feed a multitude, while a loaf will satisfy only a little lad.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment