Friday, October 10, 2014

Redeeemed . . . the song and a bit of history

It is often encouraging to look at the history behind hymns that we sing in our churches.  Many of them were born out of trials and difficulties, and others are written records of great truths taught by the Master in Heaven.  They are testimonies of God’s amazing grace.

Fanny Crosby, 1872
One of the most well known hymn writers in American history is Fanny J. Crosby (1820-1915).  Blinded by an incompetent doctor at the age of six weeks, she found hope in Jesus Christ.  She wrote over 8,000 hymns, many of which are still sung in churches around the world.  By her songs and her life, she taught many to look unto Jesus; Miss Crosby once said of her blindness, “It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all of my life, and I thank him for the dispensation.  If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow, I would not accept it.  I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.”

In 1882, Redeemed, How I Love to Proclaim It! was published.  Its melody was composed by William Kirkpatrick.  The message of the song is filled with Gospel truth, and it has blessed many for well over a century.  The lyrics are:

Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it!
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy,
His child and forever I am.

Redeemed, and so happy in Jesus,
No language my rapture can tell;
I know that the light of His presence
With me doth continually dwell.

I think of my blessèd Redeemer,
I think of Him all the day long:
I sing, for I cannot be silent;
His love is the theme of my song.

I know I shall see in His beauty
The King in whose law I delight;
Who lovingly guardeth my footsteps,
And giveth me songs in the night.

I know there’s a crown that is waiting,
In yonder bright mansion for me,
And soon, with the spirits made perfect,
At home with the Lord I shall be.

Chorus:

Redeemed, redeemed,
Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed, redeemed,
His child and forever I am.

http://clintlewey.com/2011/08/15/redeemed-how-i-love-to-proclaim-it/

No comments:

Post a Comment