Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Just Some Thoughts to Meditate On

 

Recently, the Lord has been bringing to the forefront of my attention the aspect of Him being my Lover and Friend.  I don't know if I can communicate this in a way that will make sense...but I'm going to give it a shot!

Here is what was brought to my mind as an analogy:

Imagine having someone who loved you so much and desired a friendship with you so much that they were always with you, always looking out for your best interest, always protecting you from potential harm, always there to talk to, to share your deepest hurts and joys with.   You were at the forefront of their mind and attention.  No one loving you more than them.

Okay, now how would that person feel if you felt loneliness, an unsatisfied desire for love, desirous for a friend?  If you were always thinking on other things and people that you desired to achieve the satisfaction, happiness, companionship and love that you so desired?  How would that person who loved you and cared about you more than anyone else in the world feel?

Here's what I'm getting at and what the Lord has been teaching me...

He is the One who loves me far more than anyone in the world could even begin to love.  He is the One who made me, protects me, has only my good in mind, always near to me, always there to be a Companion and Guide, my Lover and Friend.  He rejoices to hear my voice as I seek Him!  He delights when I seek Him and desire Him!  He is exalted and glorified in bearing my burdens as I cast them upon Him!  He is the One who said, "I am with you always"!"

In one of Ruth Meyers books, she shares about how we were created in such a way that there are needs in our hearts and lives that only God Himself can grant and satisfy.  Created in that way, why?  Because we glorify the Lord as He delights to satisfy our deepest needs!

So, how does it make Him feel when I am desirous of human relationships and worldly things to satisfy the longings in my heart?  Am I the person feeling lonely, desirous of love and intimate friendship?  How can I walk there when I am so greatly loved and cared for?!  What great need do I have that He cannot fully satisfy?!

I desire a closer relationship with the Lord, one that is truly intimate.  Do I draw near to Him?  Do I value Him and treasure Him as my dearest and most faithful Friend and beloved Lover?  How could I not love and adore Him who gave His life for me because He loved me, while I was still loving sin and hating Him? How could I not cling to Him who gave me new life in Himself and restored me to a right relationship with the Father?  Do I love Him and seek Him, who is to be adored?  Or do I turn to worthless idols to seek satisfaction?

Oh and the many idols that we can so easily fall into! John Calvin shared that our hearts are like little idol factorys.  How sad, when we are privileged to worship and serve the One true and awesome God, the Creator, Ruler and Sustainer of heaven and earth.  And we feel inward needs?  Then we must go to Him and stop trying to run to worthless and dead idols!  We must turn to Christ, the One who said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Mat 11:28-30)

What a joy to serve and to be loved and cherished by so great a God!

I  just wanted to share these thoughts hopefully be an encouragement to you all as I have been encouraged to seek Christ with my whole heart, soul, strength and mind!

Pressing onward by God's grace~Bree

No comments:

Post a Comment